Diversity and Racial Equity Resources
The National Association for Geriatrics Education stands in support of the urgent movement to put an end to long standing racial injustice. We stand with others to put an end to racial inequities in opportunity, health, well-being, and safety. We are committed to supporting the training of a healthcare workforce for older adults that is both diverse and ready to provide culturally competent care that actively and urgently addresses disparities in care. These disparities are evident in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, which further highlight the great urgency in addressing longstanding, unacceptable, deeply rooted institutional racism that continues to threaten the health and safety of Black Americans as well as other racial and ethnic minorities.
Our members are actively working to address the health, social, and economic disparities that impact older adults in this country. The call to action is clear, and we all need to do more. We will work to support our members as they address racial inequities through geriatrics education and workforce development by providing opportunities to share best practices, resources, and opportunities for widespread and rapid dissemination of impactful work to those who urgently need it. In the near term, we are taking two initial actions as an organization: 1) NAGE will create a standing committee to focus on ways that our organization can help disseminate education that addresses racial inequities among older adults, promote increased diversity of the geriatrics workforce, and support public policy initiatives that address racism and health disparities. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in joining the standing committee. 2) We invite members to share any resources, training events, or curricula that address racism, cultural competence, workforce diversity, and/or health disparities that impact older adults. We will disseminate these to members and post tools, resources, and curricula to our website for members to share. These can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAGE Board of Directors
- Fostering Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Two Stories of Change (Quick Time Movie)
Fostering Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Two Stories of Change (Powerpoint)
(September 16, 2021) A presentation sponsored by the NAGE Diversity and Equity Standing Committee
Community, provider and health care interventions
- Advocates for African American Elders
Advocacy group for Los Angeles African American older adults
- BrainWorks Project. (2018) [VIDEO]
How to improve Alzheimer’s education among African Americans.
- Can Age-Friendly Care Health Address Health Equity?
(By May 22, 2020) The 4Ms Framework for Age-Friendly Care — What Matters, Medication, Mentation, and Mobility.
- Center for Diversity and International Programs
An overview of the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Center for Diversity and International Programs.
- Diverse Elder Coalition
Website of the DEC which advocates for policies and programs that improve aging in racially and ethnically diverse communities including American Indian and Alaska Native
Elders; Asian American, Pacific Islander, and Native Hawaiian older adults; Black and African American older adults; Hispanic and Latinx older adults; and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
An overview of the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Center Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team.
- Implicit Bias
Part of a guide to reducing excuses for discrimination against Latinos and people of color, and people in poverty By Salud America! at the University of Texas Health San Antonio (GWEP)..
- Moral Disengagement
Part of a guide to reducing excuses for discrimination against Latinos and people of color, and people in poverty by Salud America! at University of Texas Health San Antonio (GWEP).
- National Association for Community Health Workers
Website of the National Association of Community Health Workers.
- Project Implicit
measures implicit attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report using an Implicit Association Test (IAT)
- Racial Equity Toolkit: An Opportunity to Operationalize Equity
A tool designed to integrate explicit consideration of racial equity in decisions, including policies, practices, programs, and budgets.
- Racial Equity Tools
This website offers tools, research, tips, curricula and ideas for increasing personal understanding and helping work toward justice at every level – in systems, organizations, communities and the culture at large. Produced by the Center for Assessment and Policy Development, MP Associations and World Trust Educational Services.
- System Justification
Part of a guide to reducing excuses for discrimination against Latinos and people of color, and people in poverty By Salud America! at the University of Texas Health San Antonio (GWEP).
Racial Health Inequities/Racism in Medical Journals
- America: Equity and Equality in Health 3 Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: evidence and interventions
(Zinzi D Bailey, Nancy Krieger, Madina Agénor, Jasmine Graves, Natalia Linos, Mary T Bassett) from www.thelancet.com, Vol. 389, April 8, 2018.
- A Test of Diversity — What USMLE Pass/Fail Scoring Means for Medicine
(Quentin R. Youmans, M.D., Utibe R. Essien, M.D., M.P.H., and Quinn Capers, IV, M.D.) from The New England Journal of Medicine, 382:25, June 18, 2020.
- Do Words Matter? Stigmatizing Language and the Transmission of Bias in the Medical Record
(Anna P. Goddu, MSc,Katie J. O’Conor, BA, Sophie Lanzkron, MD, MHS, Mustapha O. Saheed, MD, Somnath Saha, MD, MPH, Monica E. Peek, MD, MPH, MSc, Carlton Haywood, Jr., PhD, MA, and Mary Catherine Beach, MD, MPH) from the Journal of Internal Medicine, 33;5, January 26th, 2018.
- Hidden in Plain Sight — Reconsidering the Use of Race Correction in Clinical Algorithms
(Darshali A. Vyas, M.D., Leo G. Eisenstein, M.D., and David S. Jones, M.D., Ph.D.) from the New England Journal of Medicine, June 17, 2020.
- How Racism Creeps Into Medicine: The history of a medical instrument reveals the dubious science of racial difference. (Hamza Shaban) from The Atlantic, August 29, 2014.
- Racism and Health: Evidence and Needed Research
(David R. Williams, Jourdyn A. Lawrence, and Brigette A. Davis) from the Annual Review of Public Health, January 2, 2019.
- Racism and Health I: Pathways and Scientific Evidence
(David R. Williams and Selina A. Mohammed ) from American Behavioral Scientist, August 1, 2013.
- Racism and Health II: A Needed Research Agenda for Effective Interventions
(David R. Williams and Selina A. Mohammed) from American Behavioral Scientist, August 1, 2013.
- Stolen Breaths
(Rachel R. Hardeman, Ph.D., M.P.H., Eduardo M. Medina, M.D., M.P.H., and Rhea W. Boyd, M.D., M.P.H.) from The New England Journal of Medicine, June 10, 2020.
- Systemic racism and U.S. health care
(Joe Feagin*, Zinobia Bennefield) from Social Science & Medicine, September 19, 2013.
- The Impact of Racism on Clinician Cognition, Behavior and Clinical Decision Making
(Michelle van Ryn, et al) from Du Bois Review, April 1, 2011.
- Addressing Harmful Bias and Eliminating Discrimination in Health Professions Learning Environments
Recommendations from the 2020 Macy Foundation Conference.
- Changing How Race is Portrayed in Medical Education: Recommendations From Medical Students
(Nieblas-Bedolla Edwin MPH; Christophers Briana; Nkinsi Naomi T.; Schumann Paul D.; Stein, Elizabeth) prepublished manuscript from Academic Medicine.
- Continuum on Becoming an Anti-Racist Multicultural Organization
- Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Planning Toolkit
This guide from the Association of American Medical Colleges provides nine essential tasks to help navigate the diversity and inclusion strategic planning process.
- Theory & Practice of Multicultural Organization Development
(Bailey Jackson) The NTL Handbook of Organization and Change 2014.
- Unconscious Bias Course
from the National Resource Mentoring Network.
Teaching about racism/bias for staff/faculty/other learners
- Achieving Health Equity Among Diverse Older Adults (AHEAD) Special Interest Group
American Geriatrics Society special interest group. First meeting scheduled May 13,2021 during the AGS 2021 Annual Scientific Meeting.
- AGHE Teaching Brief—Starting the Conversation: Anti-Racist Pedagogy and Gerontology (September 2020).
- Anti-racist Pedagogy Across the Curriculum (ARPAC)
- Community Anti-Racism Education (C.A.R.E)
An organization at St. Cloud State university that focuses on championing campus community changes to becoming a more inclusive, diversified, and anti-racist institution.
- Film list
- Finding a Cure: An Open Discussion on Racism and Injustice in the American Healthcare System, webinar series
A webinar consisting of 12 to 15 minute panel discussions produced by the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) dated July 30, 2020
- How to Identify, Understand, and Unlearn Implicit Bias in Patient Care
(Jennifer Edgoose, MD, MPH; Michelle Quiogue, MD, FAAFP, and Kartik Sidhar, MD) from Family Practice Management, July/August, 2019.
- Journalism Related to Health Disparities
A series of reports from National Public Radio.
- Justice in June
(compiled by Autumn Gupta)
- Next Steps for Medical Professionals
- Shareable Anti-Racism Resource Guide
- TedMed Talks
A list of TedMed and Ted Talks on Racism.